Google Adsense

Friday, August 17, 2012

Polk Salad/Weed



There was a time when this stuff grew everywhere, especially out in the pasture areas where there were plenty of trees.  This "polk" was cooked by the older people several years back and eaten.  I tried it and found it to be very good.  When cooking it you have to be sure to do it right or it is poison and you can get very sick.  Possibly even die if you aren't careful.  I fix it like spinach after the pre-cooking is finished.  I also like to scramble some eggs into it, which is a preference.  Eating it was a good experience, with the taste being much stronger than spinach.
When I lived in Florida back in the early 90's this "polk" grew wild in my back yard.  I gathered it often and had a great vegetable meal along with the fish I caught in the ocean.  Here in Texas I haven't been able to find any in many years.  Too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 15, 2024 Out in the Garden/yard